I am very pro-police, but I felt led today that we, as intercessors for the American nation and people, need to pray specifically against police brutality.
Law enforcement is ordained by God, but that doesn’t mean He has ordained everything that law enforcers do. And in recent years, we have seen many, many cases where law-enforcement officers of various kinds have used unnecessary force and even brutality against the people of America. This has to stop.
Get prayer updates from IFA.
As we join in prayer, it is essential to acknowledge that not every police officer is brutal. Not every law enforcer in any branch is crooked or corrupt. Many, and probably the vast majority, are simply hardworking people who care about others and care about justice — and who want to do their jobs, keep people safe, get bad guys off the streets, keep the peace, and then go home to their families every day.
But it is for those who need a heart change that we pray today.
We need to pray for those who abuse their power. The Father can touch even them with His love. For officers who hide hatred in their hearts; for officers who use their power as an opportunity to exercise their personal vendettas — these are the ones for whom I specifically feel led to intercede today.
Will you join me in praying this prayer against police brutality? Let’s pray together:
Dear Heavenly Father, we come to You in Jesus’ name.
Abba, Your word says that we can come boldly before Your throne of grace, where we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. We are doing that right now, and we thank You that You hear us. We praise You for Your goodness and mercy toward us, and we are thankful that You are bowing low to hear our prayer right now.
Lord God, we thank You that righteousness and justice are the foundation of Your throne. You are a God who cares about righteousness and justice, and You have ordained law-enforcement officers to be those who enforce Your ways and Your laws.
But Father, in some cases, corrupt police officers and other law enforcers have stepped outside of what You called them to do.
We have seen instance after instance of police brutality in recent years. The heartbreaking cries of oppressed victims have reached our ears through video and media. And Father, we say enough is enough. This must stop.
Abba Father, we agree together, and we first ask, in Jesus’ name:
- that if any law enforcer in America is pondering or preparing for a brutal act, You would intervene and stop any brutal act before it starts;
- that if any law enforcer is so tired, burned out, or worn out emotionally, physically, mentally, or spiritually, such that they cannot think straight and would exercise bad judgment leading to brutality, You would expose the situation to the powers that be;
- that You give wisdom to the leadership of every law-enforcement agency. Help them to enforce policies, time off, and even mandatory leaves giving overtaxed officers the space to heal, rest, and receive restoration of their good judgment.
Heavenly Father, we also ask, in Jesus’ name, that You would reach deeply into the heart of every law enforcer in the U.S. Touch them, Father. We ask You to:
- strengthen those who are righteous and just. Pour out Your Spirit of valor on them;
- change the heart of those who are corrupt. Take away their old, stony heart and give them a new heart — Your heart;
- take away the old spirit of those who are not walking righteously. Give them a new Spirit — Your Spirit;
- fill them with the wisdom from above, which is first pure, then peaceable, undefiled, willing to yield, and full of mercy and good fruit;
- fill every law enforcement officer with compassion and mercy, for Your word says we are to be merciful, as You, Lord, are merciful;
- help them to exhibit compassion and mercy in every interaction they pursue;
- heal every law-enforcement officer from the traumas and tragedies they have seen;
- remove everything from each officer that would impair good judgment. Restore righteous judgment and decision-making to every one.
Father, we ask for revival at every police agency in the nation: county, city, state, federal, the schools — even the National Park System. Please:
- pour out Your Spirit on our law-enforcement officers;
- make them men and women after Your own heart;
- make them people of Your word and of prayer;
- let them be merciful, and may they obtain mercy as well;
- make them hungry and thirsty for You and for righteousness, and they will be filled;
- empower those who already believe in You to be a witness for You everywhere they go;
- give them boldness to testify of You in every situation;
- help our law-enforcement officers to always do the right thing, in Jesus’ name.
Father, we ask that You would protect every righteous officer. Keep them safe. And for any officers who are corrupt or wicked, we ask that You would remove them from any place of power; heal and change their hearts; and guide their steps into the way of righteousness.
Thank You, Abba Father. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.
Friend, did you pray this prayer for the police forces of our nation today? If so, please leave a comment below and add any other prayer points the Lord places on your heart regarding this topic!
Jamie Rohrbaugh is the founder and CEO of From His Presence. She is the author of Getting to Know the Sevenfold Holy Spirit, and she seeks to equip you to carry His manifest glory everywhere you go. Her resources have been published by YouVersion Bible Plans and in Charisma magazine, as well as on The Elijah List, Spirit Fuel, and various other ministry outlets. You can find free mentoring on her podcast, Take Your Territory with Jamie Rohrbaugh, which is available through your favorite podcast streaming app. Download her free prayer tool, Praying the Names of God: 555 Biblical Names of God and How to Use Them in Prayer and Worship, here. Photo Credit: Canva.