We Know Who Holds Tomorrow
By Bruce Cannon
As this article is read the New Year will most likely have already come. The previous year will have passed and we will be facing many challenges and opportunities ahead. I am so thankful that while we do not know what tomorrow holds, we know who holds tomorrow. This is the message of the song: I Know Who Holds Tomorrow by Alison Krauss
I don’t know about tomorrow; I just live from day to day.
I don’t borrow from it’s sunshine, For it’s skies may turn to grey.
I don’t worry o’er the future, For I know what Jesus said.
And today I’ll walk beside, Him, For He knows what is ahead.
Many things about tomorrow, I don’t seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow, And I know who holds my hand.
Our Heavenly Father knows everything and is already in our tomorrow readying grace, arranging circumstances, and will be our merciful and faithful High Priest when the trials of life come. Psalm 91:1 tells us that we can hide in the shelter of Almighty God and that we will always be blessed there.
Our world is constantly changing. When we think we have seen everything and heard everything that is against biblical teachings, something new and even more bewildering, and awful, happens. Be it a decision made by our government or some act of violence perpetrated by someone/group upon another, we are left flabbergasted and bewildered.
Consider some of the current issues facing our nation.
- So much antisemitism when God says He will bless those who bless Israel and curse those who curse her.
- Our borders have not been secure for so long which has allowed so many who do not hold our values to come in illegally. Walt Kelly’s phrase, “We have met the enemy and he is us,” holds true now more than ever. Think about how we have so many living here illegally who would love to destroy the United States. Terrorists, much like those who committed the acts of atrocity on 9/11 now reside here along with many who see Christians as the enemy that must be destroyed. An exact quote from the Quran says, “And when the forbidden months have passed, kill the idolaters wherever you find them and take them prisoners, and beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them at every place of ambush.” Who are the “idolaters?” People just like you and I who see Islam as a threat.
- While some are attempting to remove all restrictions regarding performing an abortion, there are others heroically trying to save the unborn. How we applaud them and pray they are successful in their efforts.
- The fact that evil is becoming much more emboldened is exactly what Jesus taught when He said that there would be “Noah Days” and “Lot Days” at the time of the coming of the Son of Man. Also, “iniquity is abounding” and “the love of people is waxing cold” just as the Lord said it would.
- The Word of God is being mocked and cast aside when it is the only means of truth we can live by. We need to embrace Its teaching and live by it as best as we can.
When I think about many of the decisions our nation is making, a Scripture from Paul in Romans 1:22 comes to mind: “Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,” The decisions of our government can bring about, and will bring about, many dire consequences upon every American if they are not biblically based.
While all of the above is true, and while there are many more issues facing us, our God is unchanging and able to see us through any situation that comes our way! What must we do to tap into His power, His wisdom, and His grace? In the epistle of James, James writes some valuable words of insight and instruction in 4:6-10: “But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double-minded. Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.”
Draw near to the Lord. Live, as best as you are able, just as close to Him spiritually as possible. Be under the shadow of the Almighty. Living there you will be in a position to experience His blessings, His protection, His peace, and His power!
How do we do this? Be still before Him. Have the boldness to say as David, “Search me, O God.” Let Him reveal things in your life that are not pleasing to Him and as 2 Chronicles 7:14 dictates, “shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways,” that we might have His full blessings in our lives.
We can then, with confidence, peace, and hope, face whatever challenges 2024 may bring. Amen!
Bruce Cannon is the Pastor of Pine Branch Baptist Church in Spruce Pine, NC
Read more good news in Avery, Burke, McDowell, Mitchell, Yancey, Avery, and Madison Counties